You may be in a situation where you need to bring a member of your family to Australia to stay with you temporarily or permanently. The way in which you proceed may differ based on whether you are an Australian citizen or permanent resident, or a visa holder. In the former case, you will have to figure out whether you want to get a temporary or permanent family visa.
There are also different kinds of visa options that you can explore in order to find out what you need. In the latter case, you will have to check if your visa will let subsequent entrants. In case your visa does not allow this, you will then need to apply for your visa based on what purpose the family member is visiting for.
There have been some new changes brought about to family visa processes by Australian immigration. We will look into those changes below and see how they affect those who are applying for them. These changes were introduced with the intention of making things easier for family visa applicants.
Things that you should know
This is some information that you should know about regarding the new changes:
- These changes have been made for supporting applicants that have faced problems due to the COVID-19 pandemic. All of the changes that are being implemented will be brought into force in the early months of 2021.
- Before these changes were brought about, many relief measures were brought into place to lessen the impact of the pandemic on people who had Australian visas.
- One of the main measures that was introduced involved letting visa holders stay in Australia since they may not have been able to travel anywhere because of the pandemic and the restrictions that were there to curb the spread of the pandemic.
- It is now possible for visa applicants to get their Australian family visas when they are in Australia even if they applied for those visas when they were outside of Australia in another country.
- There is normally a rule that states that visa applicants will have to go offshore when their visa is being granted to them.
- Since the pandemic is still there, the Australian government does not require anyone in Australia to travel offshore in order to get the family visa that they had applied for.
- Thus, if there is a foreigner who is related to an Australian citizen and wants to continue with their family visa application process, they will be able to do so without leaving Australia like they normally would have to.
- There are around 4000 visa applicants in Australia who will be affected by these new changes.
- Under subclass 309 of the Partner visa, your spouse or partner will be allowed to stay in Australia for a temporary period of time if you are an Australian citizen or Australian permanent resident.
- The changes that have been brought about are meant to be temporary and will be reviewed.
- The Australian government has also planned to double the number of Partner visa spaces that have been added.
- Most of the partner visas that are currently available have been planned to go to people who are already present in Australia.
Types of Australian family visas
Learning about the various family visas that are here will help you get a better idea of which one would be apt for you:
You can get this visa if you have been married to an Australian citizen or PR.
You can get this visa if you have the intention of marrying an Australian citizen or PR.
Interdependent Partner Visa
You can get this visa if you are in a genuine relationship interdependent relationship with a PR or Australian citizen and have a desire to go to Australia and stay there permanently.
You can get this visa if you are the parent of an Australian citizen or Australian PR.
Australian Immigration making changes to Family Visa Processes
The members here at JVS immigration wish to give their best to make sure that each and every client is thoroughly satisfied. The visa application process may not be easy for you if you have never gone through it before but you will not have to worry since we are there to assist you with all of the things that you need.
There are all kinds of visa options for the country that you may be interested in and we will give you all the information that you need. We are aware of how impactful working abroad and having a career there can be. Thus, we want to make sure that you get the best opportunities that are available. We hope that you choose to work with us; we will make you proud.